Good Afternoon Jonathan Valley Families,
This message contains information about recent, HCS, changes.
This calendar update follows three closed days last week due to inclement weather. In addition to schedule changes related to COVID-19, Haywood County Schools has seen several unusual missed days. We have missed 13 days that were closed for in-person or remote learning. Five days were missed due to a ransomware attack. One day was missed for flooding in association with Tropical Storm Zeta. One day was missed due to an off-campus fire that interrupted Internet and telephone service. Six days were missed due to inclement winter weather. Our average number of missed days is nine.
Please note the following calendar changes:
- Friday, February 12th is now a full instructional day instead of an early dismissal.
- Monday, February 15th is now a regular school. This was originally a remote learning day that has been moved to February 24th.
- Thursday, March 18th is now a full instructional day instead of an early dismissal
- Friday, March 19th is now a regular school day instead of a remote learning day to swap with the original, regular, school day that was supposed to take place February 1st.
- Friday, April 23rd is now a regular school day instead of remote learning day to swap with the original, regular, school day that was supposed to take place February 2nd.
Basically, we took remote learning days already placed in the calendar, and switched them to be used in place of regular school days that were lost to inclement weather. The state required all districts in NC to add 5 remote days to their calendar for the 2020-2021 school year, and all districts had the option to add 5 more remote days due to inclement weather.
We thank everyone for their patience and understanding with this sometimes confusing calendar situation. . Currently, the last student day is still Thursday, June 3rd. If winter weather continues to cause school closings, it may be necessary to extend student days into the week of June 7th in order to assure we achieve the instructional hours required by the state.
To see an updated yearly calendar please visit the HCS website and click on the calendar link, or check Remind, or the email attached to your phone call account.